- Maui Jim
Effective Date: May 1, 2022
Information We Collect
We collect various types of information about our customers and Website visitors. In the past 12 months we may have collected:
- Location: We use various technologies to learn your precise geographic location, including by collecting your IP address or other device information, which may depend on your device's settings for location services.
- Device Information: When you visit our Websites, interact with our Social Media Pages or online ads, or open our emails, we learn about your browser, device type, IP address, internet service provider, and other technical information about your device.
- Identifiers: We collect identifiers which include personal information like name, address, email address, phone number, username and password for our Websites, online identifiers, and shipping address and may also include information such as your social media account information.
- Payment Information: Your payment details can be collected in connection with an order.
- Call, Chat, and Email Records: If you call, chat, email, or otherwise interact with us we may keep records and collect analytical data concerning those conversations and interactions.
- Commercial Information: We keep track of the services or products you purchased and your consuming histories or tendencies.
- Website Interactions: We collect information about your interactions with our Websites and/or emails. This data may then be to troubleshoot customer service issues, to improve site functionality, and to analyze user needs.
- Submitted Content: We collect any content you submit to our Websites, Social Media Pages, or to us including photos and reviews.
- Profile Information: We may have access to profile details about our customers such as your preferences and website behavior.
- Demographic Information/Characteristics of protected classifications: We have access to demographic details about our customers such as birthdate, gender, ZIP code, and other similar details.
- Job Applications: If you apply for employment, we have access to the content you provide such as your resume, cover letter, and any information contained therein.
- Information about your eyesight: We collect prescription or vision information.
- Audio or video information: You may share photographs or video with us and we may record customer service communications.
How We Collect Information
We may collect the information described above directly from you, from third parties we partner with, or through cookies or other automated means. The categories of sources we have collected personal information from over the last 12 months include:
- You: We collect information directly from you, whenever you: make a purchase; visit our Websites or locations; contact us with questions or comments; make a repair request; upload content; create an account; sign up for communications; use or set up our mobile applications; respond to a survey; write a review; or use or like our Social Media Pages.
- Your Device or Browser: Certain information is automatically collected from your device or browser and analyzed when you visit our Websites, interact with our Social Media Pages or online advertising, or open our emails.
- Third Parties: We work with third parties who provide services to us such as payment processors, analytics, retail partners, delivery partners/carriers, survey providers, data suppliers, advertising companies, or other service providers. Your information may be collected and processed independently in accordance with the third party's own privacy notices. These third parties share information they have collected with us.
- Social Media Platforms: Social media platforms share information with us. You can learn more about how social media platforms collect and use your information by reviewing their privacy policies and settings.
We will continue to collect personal information from these same sources.
How We Use Collected Information
We may use the information we collect for the following business purposes:
- Fulfillment: Fulfilling your orders and other requests, including, but not limited to, processing payments, processing repair requests, and delivering your purchases.
- Advertising: Presenting advertising through a variety of communication channels, both online and offline, including through partnerships with social media platforms and internet search engines.
- Understanding Our Customers: Analyzing your activity with us (including your interactions with our Websites, locations, Social Media Pages, and emails or other forms of communication), and monitoring the effectiveness of our advertising and communications.
- Personalization: Using your preferences and other collected information to personalize our relationship with you, including presenting customized communication, advertising, and experiences on our Websites, emails, and ads on social media.
- Communications: Communicating with you about our services and responding to your inquiries.
- Promotions: Running contests, promotions, and sweepstakes.
- Hiring: Recruiting and hiring.
- Customer Experience and Analytics: Serving content on our Websites and Social Media Pages, developing and analyzing our products, Websites, services, and constantly improving and analyzing our customers' experience, including but not limited to, troubleshooting customer service issues, error reporting, and improving site functionality and effectiveness.
- Security: Protecting Maui Jim and our customers from fraud, security threats, and other illegal or harmful activity.
- De-identified data: Creating de-identified and aggregated information.
- Legal Obligations: Complying with legal and regulatory requirements and responding to requests from courts or other government bodies.
How We Share Information with Service Providers and Third Parties and for What Purposes
We may share personal information with third parties for certain business purposes. In the past 12 months, we have shared the above categories of personal information with:
- Service Providers: We partner with third parties to assist with many aspects of our business, including fulfilling orders, advertising, analyzing your interests and activity on our Websites and Social Media Pages, and helping us communicate with customers. These third parties may provide services related to any of the purposes described in How We Use Collected Information, and we may share with them any types of information described in Information We Collect. We may also receive information collected by these third parties and combine it with the information we have collected. Your information may also be collected and processed by third parties, such as the payment providers you select, who will process your information independently in accordance with their own privacy notices.
- Marketing Providers: We partner with third parties, including our affiliate marketing partners, to assist with the advertising and marketing of our business. We may share with them the types of information described in How We Use Collected Information.
- Other Third Parties: We will disclose information about you, including to government bodies or law enforcement agencies, when we believe it to be necessary for compliance with the law or to protect our Website users, our Websites, or the public.
- Parties to a Business Transaction: If Maui Jim were ever merged with or acquired by another company, or it acquires another company, or is involved in a corporate reorganization or other change in corporate control, your information could be shared with that business entity.
- Internally: Maui Jim may share your information with our affiliates and subsidiaries.
If you are a California resident, you can learn more about your privacy rights below.
Your Privacy Choices
You can control the information we collect and use in the following ways:
- Location Information: You can disable location-based services on your mobile device or web browser by adjusting the settings on your device or browser. This will prevent our Websites from accessing your location information. Note that some services may not be available if you disable location-based services.
- Emails/Text Message: You can unsubscribe from marketing emails or text messages by following the opt-out or unsubscribe instructions in each message.
- Online Accounts: You can keep your contact information and payment methods accurate and up to date by logging into your account on our Websites. If you wish to cancel your account, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Online Advertising: For information about opting out of third party advertising, visit: NAI Opt-Out and DAA Opt-Out (you will leave this Website for a separately managed online site where you can specify your preference under those programs). You can also click on the icon that may appear on some of our advertising served through these technologies. We may use more than one third party company for placing this advertising, which would require you to opt out of each company.
- Google Analytics: You can opt out of Google Analytics across all websites you use. To do so, visit this website.
- Hotjar: Hotjar honors generic “Do Not Track” headers. This means the browser can tell it's script not to collect any of your information. This setting is available on all major browsers.
Our Websites and Social Media Pages are intended for adults. We do not knowingly collect personal information of children under the age of 16.
Maui Jim cares about the security of your information. We employ administrative, physical, and electronic safeguards designed to protect your information from unauthorized access. For instance, when personal information is transmitted over our networks, it is protected through the use of encryption using the Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol. While we take these measures, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable.
You can protect your information by selecting strong, unique passwords for the Websites and any associated email addresses. If you have concerns about the security of your account, or wish to alert us of any potential vulnerabilities, please contact email@example.com.
Supported Web Browsers and Do Not Track Signals
We recommend that you use the latest web browser versions to optimize your experience. Older web browser versions may not be able to access or utilize all pages on our Websites as intended.
Please send your privacy-related questions, comments, and concerns to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Privacy Rights of California Residents & California Consumer Privacy Act Statement
As a resident of California, you have rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act, California Civil Code § 1798.100 et seq., (with any implementing regulations and as may be amended from time to time, “CCPA”) relevant to your Personal Information (as defined under the CCPA), as well as other laws. The rights described herein are subject to exemptions under the CCPA and other limitations under applicable law.
California Consumer Rights Under the CCPA: If your Personal Information is subject to the CCPA, you may have certain privacy rights with regard to that information. You may have the right to:
- Request that we provide you access to the following no more than twice in a 12-month period:
- the categories and specific pieces of Personal Information that we have collected about you;
- the categories of sources from which the Personal Information is collected;
- the business or commercial purpose for collecting or sharing your Personal Information;
- the categories of third parties with whom we share your Personal Information; and
- the categories of Personal Information that are sold (as defined under the CCPA) and the categories of third parties to whom the Personal Information was sold.
- Request that we delete your Personal Information, subject to exceptions under the CCPA or other applicable law; and
- Request that we not “sell” your Personal Information by opting out of the sale of your Personal Information.
California residents also have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment for the exercise of any of the privacy rights conferred by the CCPA, as described in this section. Maui Jim will not discriminate against you because you have exercised any of your rights under the CCPA.
How to Submit a Request
If you wish to exercise your right to request access or to delete to your Personal Information, you may submit a request by emailing email@example.com or visiting our consumer rights page, here. You may opt-out of the sale of your Personal Information by accessing the “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” page, by using our consumer rights page, or submitting a request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you choose to submit your request via email, you must include “CCPA Request” in the subject line and clearly provide us with the following information: what type of request you are making, your full name, email address, and shipping address. You may only make one request per email.
Maui Jim is required to provide you with access to your Personal Information or delete your Personal Information only in response to verifiable consumer requests. We will compare the information you provide by telephone or via email with any information we may have in our possession in order to verify your request. We may also contact you to request additional information in relation to your request. The information you provide must match the information we have in our possession. This measure is in place to help ensure that Personal Information is not disclosed to any person who does not have the right to receive it. The information collected through this process will be used for verification purposes only.
Please note that you may authorize an agent to exercise any of these rights on your behalf by contacting us by email at email@example.com. If you use an agent, we will take measures to verify your agent's authorization similar to the verification described above for fulfilling any access or deletion requests. We may require more information to ensure proper verification of you and your agent's identity and authorization.
Categories of Personal Information Sold
Based on the CCPA’s broad definition of “sale”, certain data collected on our Websites for purposes of advertising or social media engagement may be a “sale” under the CCPA. In the previous 12 months, Maui Jim has sold (as defined under the CCPA) the following categories of Personal Information: Identifiers, such as online identifiers and IP address; Geolocation information including precise location data; inferences drawn from personal information, such as consumer preferences and behavior; Internet or other electronic network activity; and commercial information, such as purchase history.
Categories of Personal Information Disclosed for a Business Purpose
We share Personal Information about you with service providers and third parties for business purposes, such as operational purposes and other purposes related to providing you with the products and services you seek from us. For more information about the business purposes for which we disclose Personal Information, see How We Share Information with Service Providers and Third Parties and For What Purposes and see Information We Collect for what types of information may be shared.
If you have opted-out of the sale of your Personal Information, you are welcome to opt back in at any time. To opt-in, contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and clearly request to opt-in to the sale of your Personal Information.
Notice of Financial Incentive
We also sometimes offer exclusive price discounts, rewards, offers, deals, coupons, or other perks for those: (1) participating in our loyalty or rewards programs; or (2) recipients of our mailing lists who were presented with a financial incentive to sign up (“Programs”). Under California law, participating in any of our Programs is considered a financial incentive provided in exchange for the collection and retention of personal information. Through our loyalty or rewards programs, consumers may provide us with any or all of the categories of information in the Information We Collect section above. Participation in these programs is optional and consumers may opt out at any time. In addition to this disclosure, each program contains terms specific to that promotion. Your participation in any of these programs will be interpreted as affirmative consent to the terms of that particular program.
We offer these Programs to, among other things, enhance our relationships with our customers. The value to our business, in the aggregate, of customers' personal information depends on specific facts, such as whether and to what extent they take advantage of any offerings. We do not calculate the value of customers' information for our accounting statements. To the extent we would, however, such valuation could be directly or reasonably related to the cost associated with acquiring or developing such information.
Additional California Privacy Rights
California residents may also ask us to provide them with (i) a list of certain categories of personal data that we have disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, and (ii) the identity of those third parties. California residents may make one request per calendar year. In response to your written request, Maui Jim is allowed to provide you with a cost-free means to opt-out of such sharing.
Maui Jim has chosen to provide you with a cost-free means to opt-out of such sharing, which you can accomplish by emailing us at email@example.com. In your request, please include a subject line that states “CA Shine the Light Request”, state that you are a California resident, and identify that you would like to opt out of sharing your data with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. You can also opt out by sending this same information to us at the following address:
One Aloha Lane
Peoria, IL 61615