Effective Date: May 1, 2022
Cookies are placed on your browser when you visit our Websites to collect information about where you go on our Websites and on other websites so that our ads can be served on other websites. To opt out of the collection and use of information for this purpose, go to Your Ad Choices at youradchoices.ca/choices (you will leave this site for a centrally managed online site where you can specify your preferences and learn more about how these cookies work).
What Is Personal Information
Generally, privacy legislation defines “personal information” as information about an identifiable individual or information that allows an individual to be identified. This policy will more specifically address the personal information we collect, use and disclose, which generally includes your name, address, telephone number, personal email address, date of birth, billing and account information, use of our Websites tied to one of these categories and other information you choose to provide, including through your personal social media accounts as described below, and other information that specifically relates to you, which we collect in the course of providing goods and services to you.
Information We Collect
We collect various types of information about our customers and Website visitors. We may collect the following pieces of information:
- Location: We use various technologies to learn your precise geographic location, including by collecting your IP address or other device information, which may depend on your device’s settings for location services.
- Device Information: When you visit our Websites, interact with our Social Media Pages or online ads, or open our emails, we learn about your browser, device type, IP address, internet service provider, and other technical information about your device.
- Identifiers: We collect identifiers which include personal information like name, address, email address, phone number, username and password for our Websites, online identifiers, and shipping address and may also include information such as your social media account information.
- Payment Information: Your payment details may be collected in connection with an order.
- Call, Chat, and Email Records: If you call, chat, email, or otherwise interact with us we may keep records and collect analytical data concerning those conversations and interactions.
- Commercial Information: We keep track of the services or products you purchased and your consuming histories or tendencies.
- Website Interactions: We collect information about your interactions with our Websites and/or emails. This data may then be to troubleshoot customer service issues, to improve site functionality, and to analyze user needs.
- Submitted Content: We collect any content you submit to our Websites, Social Media Pages, or to us including photos and reviews.
- Profile Information: We may have access to profile details about our customers such as your preferences and website behavior.
- Demographic Information/Characteristics of protected classifications: We have access to demographic details about our customers such as birthdate, gender, ZIP code, and other similar details.
- Job Applications: If you apply for employment, we have access to the content you provide such as your resume, cover letter, and any information contained therein.
- Information about your eyesight: We collect prescription and vision information.
- Audio or video information: You may share photographs or video with us and we may record customer service communications.
We may use any of the above information to draw inferences from these categories of information such as consumer preferences, behavior, and characteristics.
We will keep your personal information for as long as it is needed to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected and in order to comply with legal or regulatory requirements. This may mean that some information is held for longer than other information.
How We Collect Information
We may collect the information described above directly from you, from third parties we partner with, or through cookies or other automated means. Specifically, we collect personal information from the following sources:
- You: We collect information directly from you, whenever you: make a purchase; visit our Websites or locations; contact us with questions or comments; make a repair request; upload content; create an account; enter our contests, sweepstakes, or promotions or contests or sweepstakes we are affiliated with; sign up for communications; use or set up our mobile applications; respond to a survey; write a review; or use or like our Social Media Pages.
- Your Device or Browser: Certain information is automatically collected from your device or browser and analyzed when you visit our Websites, interact with our Social Media Pages or online advertising, or open our emails.
- Third Parties: We work with third parties who provide services to us such as payment processors, analytics, retail partners, delivery partners/carriers, survey providers, data suppliers, advertising companies, or other service providers. Your information may be collected and processed independently in accordance with the third party's own privacy notices. These third parties share information they have collected with us.
- Social Media Platforms: Social media platforms share information with us. You can learn more about how social media platforms collect and use your information by reviewing their privacy policies and settings.
We will continue to collect personal information from these same sources.
How We Use Collected Information
We may use the information we collect for the following business purposes:
- Fulfillment: Fulfilling your orders and other requests, including, but not limited to, processing payments and delivering your purchases.
- Advertising: Presenting advertising through a variety of communication channels, both online and offline, including through partnerships with social media platforms and internet search engines.
- Understanding Our Customers: Analyzing your activity with us (including your interactions with our Websites, Social Media Pages, and emails or other forms of communication), and monitoring the effectiveness of our advertising and communications.
- Personalization: Using your preferences and other collected information to personalize our relationship with you, including presenting customized communication, advertising, and experiences on our Websites, emails, and ads on social media.
- Communications: Communicating with you about our services and products and responding to your inquiries.
- Promotions: Running contests, promotions, and sweepstakes.
- Hiring: Recruiting and hiring, including, but not limited to, verifying your eligibility for employment.
- Customer Experience and Analytics: Serving content on our Websites and Social Media Pages, developing and analyzing our products, Websites, services, and constantly improving and analyzing our customers' experience, including but not limited to, troubleshooting customer service issues, error reporting, and improving site functionality and effectiveness.
- Security: Protecting Maui Jim and our customers from fraud, security threats, and other illegal or harmful activity.
- De-identified data: Creating de-identified and aggregated information, including but not limited to, analyzing general market trends.
- Legal Obligations: Complying with legal and regulatory requirements and responding to requests from courts or other government bodies.
How We Share Information with Service Providers and Third Parties and for What Purposes
We may share information with third parties for certain business purposes. The following list provides information about entities with which we may share information. Our practices vary depending on the type of information and sharing.
- Service Providers: We partner with third parties to assist with many aspects of our business, including fulfilling orders, redeeming gift cards, advertising, analyzing your interests and activity on our Websites and Social Media Pages, supporting our corporate gifts organizations, and helping us communicate with customers. These third parties may provide services related to any of the purposes described in How We Use Collected Information, and we may share with them any types of information described in Information We Collect. We may also receive information collected by these third parties and combine it with the information we have collected. Your information may also be collected and processed by third parties, such as the payment providers you select, who will process your information independently in accordance with their own privacy notices.
- Marketing Providers: We partner with third parties, including our affiliate marketing partners, to assist with the advertising and marketing of our business. We may share with them the types of information described in How We Use Collected Information.
- Other Third Parties: We and our service providers may use and share your personal information as we believe is necessary or appropriate to protect, enforce, or defend the legal rights, privacy, safety, or property of our services, our employees or agents or users, to detect, suppress or prevent fraud or where otherwise required or permitted by applicable law or legal process, including responding to a search warrant or other legally valid requests from public and government authorities (which may include lawful access by U.S., Canadian, or other governmental authorities, courts or law enforcement agencies).
- Parties to a Business Transaction: If Maui Jim were ever merged with or acquired by another company, or it acquires another company, or is involved in a corporate reorganization or other change in corporate control, your information could be shared with that business entity.
- Internally: Maui Jim may share your information with our affiliates and subsidiaries to perform services for you.
What Are Cookies and How Do We Use Them?
Our Websites and emails also use clear gifs (also known as Web beacons or Web bugs). A clear gif is a nearly invisible pixel-sized graphic image on a Webpage or email message. Clear gifs allow us to view the URL of the page on which the clear gif appears and the time our Websites or email in question is viewed. Clear gifs in emails also help us confirm the receipt of, and response to, our emails. This information helps us determine the most desired features and information so that we can provide those features and information to you.
Third Party Cookies Other Than Ad Cookies
We use third party service providers to assist us in better understanding the use of our Websites. Our service providers will place cookies on your computer and will receive information that we select that will educate us on such things as how you navigate around our Websites, what features are accessed, completed, or most used, what products are browsed and aggregate purchasing information. The information and analysis provided by our service providers will be used to assist us in better understanding your interests in our Websites and how to better serve those interests. The information collected by our service providers may be linked by them or us with information that is collected about you while you are visiting our Websites.
Cookies are also placed by third parties on our Websites when you visit us through our advertisements posted on other websites. These third parties analyze this cookie information and provide us with aggregate reports regarding the effectiveness of those advertisements.
When you submit personal information to our Website without exercising the opt-out rights noted below or the opt-out in the Ad Cookies Policy above, you are agreeing that we may collect, use, and disclose your personal information in accordance with the purposes and uses identified in this policy or as required by law.
Your Privacy Choices
- Location Information: You can disable location-based services on your mobile device or web browser by adjusting the settings on your device or browser. This will prevent our Websites from accessing your location information. Note that some services may not be available if you disable location-based services.
- Emails: You can unsubscribe from marketing emails by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of such email.
- Online Accounts: You may access, modify or delete your account on the settings or profile page, or by contacting the Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org with such written request. You may also contact us at 888-666-5905. If you contact us, we may ask that you confirm and verify your identity.
- Online Advertising: For information about opting out of third party advertising, visit: Network Advertising Initiative, Digital Advertising Alliance and Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada (you will leave this Website for a separately managed online site where you can specify your preference under those programs). You can also click on the icon that may appear on some of our advertising served through these technologies. We may use more than one third party company for placing this advertising, which would require you to opt out of each company.
- Cookies and Similar Technologies: You may block cookies and similar technologies in your browser or device settings, as and if permitted by such device.
- Google Analytics: You can opt out of Google Analytics across all websites you use. To do so, visit this website.
- Hotjar: Hotjar honors generic “Do Not Track” headers. This means the browser can tell its script not to collect any of your information.
This setting is available on all major browsers.
You may also opt-out of the collection and use of your personal information by emailing email@example.com or calling us at 888-666-5905. If you choose to submit your request via email, you must include “Canada Request” in the subject line and clearly provide us with the following information: what type of request you are making, your full name, email address, and shipping address.
Accessing, Updating, and Correcting Your Personal Information
Subject to applicable law, you may also have a right to access, update, and correct inaccuracies in personal information in our custody and control, subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law. You may request access, updating and corrections of inaccuracies in the personal information we have in our custody or control by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to us at the contact information provided in the Questions About Privacy section, below. In your written request, please include your name, address, and email address so that we may verify whether we retain any personal information about you.
Upon your written request, we will inform you of the existence, use, and general disclosure of your personal information and we will give you a copy of the information we have retained. There may be a minimal charge for accessing your personal information.
If you have created an online account, you with the opportunity to update or modify your personal information, including your billing address and preferred shipping information on your account. To update or modify your information, log on to your account with your email address and password, and you will see an overview page where you can update your information.
Privacy of Children
Our Websites and Social Media Pages are intended for adults. We do not knowingly collect personal information of children under the age of 13. If we learn that a child under the age of 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete it in accordance with applicable law.
For your convenience and enjoyment, our Websites may contain links to other websites. We do not evaluate and are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites. Please review the privacy policies on each link to ensure that you are comfortable with their privacy policies and practices.
Maui Jim cares about the security of your information. We have implemented a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information. Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of employees who have special access rights. When you place orders or access your personal information, we offer the use of a secure server. All sensitive information supplied by you is encrypted via SSL/TLS and securely stored in Maui Jim's database. While we take these measures, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable.
You can protect your information by selecting strong, unique passwords for the Websites and any associated email addresses. If you have concerns about the security of your account, or wish to alert us of any potential vulnerabilities, please contact email@example.com.
Supported Web Browsers and Do Not Track Signals
We recommend that you use the latest web browser versions to optimize your experience. Older web browser versions may not be able to access or utilize all pages on our Websites as intended.
Questions About Privacy
If, for any reason, you are accessing a country specific website for a country in which you are not located (e.g. utilizing a proxy server) please contact us to view the policies and terms specific to your jurisdiction.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding our compliance with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) or similar provincial legislation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call us at 888-666-5905 or contact us by postal mail at the following:
Data Privacy Officer
1 Aloha Lane
Peoria, IL 61615